Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Restoring 1977 Colnago Super: Yesterday was the day

Finally the bike came in. To my surprise one day early. Fortunately for me I was able to unpack it and feel like a young child at Christmas again. But unfortunately for my brother in law, Jason and his UPS Store it looked like a tornado passed through leaving newspaper, bubble wrap and cardboard in wake. Everyone going into the store at the time must of thought I hit gold! In my opinion I did. 

After the unpacking extravaganza I drove straight to Scott Mackey with Pedal Play Bikes in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Scott has been my confidant in this sport. And will be pivotal in this restoration. He also houses all of my fathers memorabilia in his store. My first Colnago Frame C-50 was Scott's personal inventory. Not only is Scott well versed in cycling history but we as share love for Colnago's and he is one hell of a mechanic.
So where do I go from here? Top on the list... going for one long ride to get a feel for steel. After this ride, I will not ride it again until this project is completed. 

Second on the list: Is getting every part dated and identified. For this I will reach out to a few groups on line. That is where I can find years of experience and treasure chest of info.

Classic Rendezvous has thus far been the MOST WELCOMING group I have encountered on line. Thank you Mr. Felix Chiu for for the introduction. And by the way this man has one fine collection. You have set the bar for me!

Third on the list: breaking this down into pieces. 

For now here is my working list and pictures with my limited knowledge and research for this era. Comments welcome. 

Colnago Era Identification.

Frame & Fork
Colnago Super 1977 / Fork Colnago Year Accurate?
Front Derailleur
Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Rear Derailleur
Campagnolo Record 1972?
Rear Cassette
Dura Ace
Headset
Brev Campagnolo Record Road Ensemble?
Crankset
Campagnolo Nuovo Record 170mm
Bottom Bracket
Campagnolo Nuovo Reocrd (TBD but pretty sure)
Stem
Cinelli (how to identify spec?)
Stem Bar
Cinelli (how to identify spec?)
Shifters
Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Brakes
Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Brake Levers
Campagnolo Record (need to get Nuovo)
Brake Hoods
(TBD)
Hubs
Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Rims
Campagnolo Record Crono (1990's non-Era)
Tires
Vittoria tubulars
Seat Post
Campagnolo Record
Seat
Concour
Chain
Shram
Handlebar Tape
Cloth
Pedals
not included































No comments:

Post a Comment