Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Restoring 1977 Colnago Super: the clean up

Past three weeks I have been trying to sqeeze in as much work as I could on the components. Breaking them down has been interesting and some kind of fun. If you know me well I usually stick to tasks that I am good at.

When I was a competitive cyclist and racing I kept my hands off the bike mechanically. I raced a whole heck of a lot better than turning wrenches. Swapping out a cassett or changing tires was about all I felt comfortable with. Anything else, the bike was in the hands of Scott Mackey.

But I was up to the challange of breaking this bike down and learning as much as I can. Then cleaning every speck of grime and grease off of everything. Have to say this has been the most enjoyable part so far, besides getting the bike.  Now I have a huge appreciation for vintage parts. In a sense they are timeless, functional and bullet proof. What I am trying to say is the simple design is sometimes the most functional. 

So how did I clean all the parts? After doing my homework online and consulting with a few people I concluded the best approach was simply mineral spirits. A good long soak, a dish brush, paintbrush to get into all the hard spots and good rinse with water got everything brand new!
Now I'm putting things back together.... But that is another post!


 


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment